So this was the real reason for even going down to Moab. I signed up last December to run it and have been training since the first of the year. Things had been going pretty good until about mid February when my knees started to hurt so bad while running that I couldn't get past 3 miles. I ended up buying new shoes, and taking a couple weeks off then the last week of February hit the training hard because the race was only 3 weeks away!
The weather in Moab was absolutely gorgeous last weekend! I was actually really nervous for the race and it was a little intimidating being surrounded by 3,500 other runners who all appeared to be in excellent physical condition, and looked super prepared to smoke me at the finish line! I hung toward the back of the pack and actually didn't even hear the starting gun go off. The mob just started moving and I followed.
The first 8 miles I was feeling great! I had tons of energy, and was moving along at about a 10:00 minute mile pace. (Maybe even a little quicker) But then starting the 9th mile my legs began to get really wobbly! I still felt like I had energy, thanks to the nasty cliff shots, but my muscles just weren't cooperating! About that time, I thought the long hike the day before probably wasn't the best idea. Anyway about mile 11 when I came out of the canyon, to my surprise Zeniff was waiting there with some water and Gatorade for me to drink. He was very encouraging and kept re-appearing two more times before the finish line to keep pushing me along. What a sweetheart! :) Well I finished in 2:21:45, with an average pace of 10:50. So all in all I guess I am happy with the way it turned out. For next time though, definitely no hikes the night before.
The weather in Moab was absolutely gorgeous last weekend! I was actually really nervous for the race and it was a little intimidating being surrounded by 3,500 other runners who all appeared to be in excellent physical condition, and looked super prepared to smoke me at the finish line! I hung toward the back of the pack and actually didn't even hear the starting gun go off. The mob just started moving and I followed.
The first 8 miles I was feeling great! I had tons of energy, and was moving along at about a 10:00 minute mile pace. (Maybe even a little quicker) But then starting the 9th mile my legs began to get really wobbly! I still felt like I had energy, thanks to the nasty cliff shots, but my muscles just weren't cooperating! About that time, I thought the long hike the day before probably wasn't the best idea. Anyway about mile 11 when I came out of the canyon, to my surprise Zeniff was waiting there with some water and Gatorade for me to drink. He was very encouraging and kept re-appearing two more times before the finish line to keep pushing me along. What a sweetheart! :) Well I finished in 2:21:45, with an average pace of 10:50. So all in all I guess I am happy with the way it turned out. For next time though, definitely no hikes the night before.
Mom, Valerie and me leaving for the race
(Mom and Valerie ran the 5 mile run)
Zeniff captured these pictures about Mile 11
Just crossed the finish line!

Almost my entire family was there at the finish line to cheer me on. It was great!
1 comment:
That Zeniff sounds like such a sweetheart, and he is gorgeous but what a little s**t
Post a Comment